Technology and the Arts – Episode 56 (11.16.2012) features lightly edited audio from a live Google+ Hangouts On AIr that Brian Kelley and John LeMasney conducted October 8, 2012. In this installment, we discuss NFC tags and their many potential uses, a Brian Eno-created music creation app for the iPad called Scape and a “lost” Steve Jobs speech from 1983 design conference held in Aspen, Colorado…and a whole lot more. File size: 13.5 MB. Time: 55 min., 20 sec. Hosts: Brian Kelley and John LeMasney.
- John talked about NFC tags and a couple of design books — Universal Principles of Design and 100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design.
- Brian discussed Scape, a music composition app for the iPad from the innovative musical mind of Brian Eno and Peter Chilvers for Generative Music (see the demonstration in the YouTube player above the video version of this episode).
- Brian also talked about a “lost” Steve Jobs speech from a 1983 design conferencein Aspen in which he painted a pretty accurate picture of the future of technology.
- Brian also shared with John this recent post about recreating one of his songs from the late 1980s, “Form of Life”, and recording a new version of it completely on his iPhone with GarageBand.
Hurricane Sandy Information and Relief Links
- State of New Jersey Hurricane Sandy Information Center
- New Jersey Office of Emergency Management
- Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund – Founded by New Jersey’s First Lady, Mary Pat Christie
- FEMA Disaster Assistance – Get information and file for federal disaster assistance.
- American Red Cross – Donate to relief efforts!
- Jersey Shore Hurricane News – A Facebook page that has been providing much-needed information, photos, tips and other updates during and after the storm.